Cairns Sub Branch Inc.
Cairns RSL Sub Branch offers a warm welcome to veterans in the local area. The Cairns Sub Branch is part of the Far Northern District of RSL Queensland.
In 1916 a ‘Welcome Home Committee’ was formed in Cairns to support the Veterans returning from the First World War. Later that year the Cairns RSL Sub Branch was established, showing that Cairns was right at the forefront of the formation of the RSL across Australia. Although the culture of the Cairns RSL Sub Branch has changed over the years, the ethos of ‘Caring for our Defence Family’ is still very strong.
Today the Cairns RSL Sub Branch prides itself on the role it plays in looking after its core constituency of current and former service members and their families.
The Cairns RSL Sub-Branch is established for the principal purpose of promoting the interests and welfare of former and serving members of the ADF and their dependants by:
- Assisting and caring for the sick, elderly and needy.
- Preserving the memory and records of those who served, suffered and died for the Commonwealth of Australia.
- Encouraging the members of the League and citizens to serve the Nation with a spirit of self sacrifice and loyalty.
- Nurturing of the youth of Australia to ensure that the strength, vitality and security of our Nation is preserved and enhanced.
In addition, we assist the veteran community of Cairns by the provision of pension and welfare advocacy for compensation and benefits; medical treatment and other forms of welfare.
To ensure the effort and sacrifice made by the Cairns veteran community and members of the ADF is commemorated appropriately.
- ANZAC Day
- Vietnam Veterans’ Day
- Remembrance Day
We are here to support our Defence Family no matter their age, gender or service history. We offer an extensive range of free services for veterans and their families across their entire lives, including at times when they may experience hardship. Our services include:
- Advocacy to help you navigate the DVA claims process and ensure you get the best possible outcome
- Well being – From coordinate social events for camaraderie to lending a helping hand here and there, our well being services are extensive
- Hospital, Home, Age Care visits and care packages
- Poppy services at funerals
- Reception services – advice on where to go and how to go about it
- Kokoda Hall Military Museum
- Volunteer support
- Triage Counselling
- Food parcels
- Emergency short term accommodation
- Organise and conduct Commemorative Services
- Coordinate, fund and implement milestone military events
- Recreational and fitness programs
- Provide support HMAS Cairns and 51st Battalion Far North Queensland Regiment through collaboration on events
- Fundraising initiatives
- Provide the latest news and updates regarding veteran wellbeing through online platforms such as social media, emails and website
- Support and collaborate with other ex-service organisations
- Fortnightly eSIT-REP newsletter
Did you know by completing this information, you are highlighting your sub branch online presence without any additional admin or cost? This means when people search online for your Sub Branch, you could be found along with your information and help boost new potential members!